Tuesday, 15 December 2009

Cutting Out Images

My next task was a group one as there are around 40 images to deal with. I had to deal with 10 of them. I had to cut them out because to get rid of the background because they will be sitting on a table and has to have a white background.

Here all all the images I dealt with:





This is how I did it:

1. I opened up the software called Adobe Photoshop CS4 and uploaded an image. Which will be in JPG format.



2. Create a new layer and make the whole layer a bright colour. In this case I am going to use bright green as you will be able to easily see where you have cut out.



3. Create a copy of the image. Just in case you make an error in the original copy. You do this going to the layers palette and move the image to the “create new layer”. Finally move the copy to the top of the layers palette. Because the layer at the top is the one that you work on.



4.Create a layer mask over the copy. You do this so you can’t edit it and therefore won’t cause any problems



5. To cut the image I used a variety of tools. First one was the polygonal lasso tool, which is useful for cutting out straight shapes. I used this tool to go around the whole image. In order to make it cut you will need the primary colour white because this erases it out and the black will add it in.



6. With the rest of the image I used the brush tool and coloured the rest in.



7. Once I have cut the image it should look like this:



8. Finally converted the image form JPG to a PNG file so that it can be used on the web. I did this by clicking on “File” – “Save for web” and changed the file format to JPG to PNG. I repeated steps 1 -8 for the other 9 images.



As the images are really big they will need to be resized so Alex D and Gary can use them to place on the tables which have been made in Adobe Illustrator CS4. The tables where exactly the same but the contents on the table will change. For example items to do with weddings on one table and all items about halloween on another etc. Before the images were used they to be placed to certain categories. So all images to do with Christmas, Weddings, Birthdays, Halloween, Easter, corporate and christening will be in different folders so they would be easy to access when they will be put on the tables.

After that the table images where given to Aarron to be placed on the website. The HTML has been structured with the ID's and classes. The lightbox effect has also been added, but it is all CSS with no JavaScript because there may be some problems with JavaScript if some people haven't got in enabled on their browser.

This is the early version of the website:

http://courses.sussexdowns.ac.uk/awilliamson/CardCuts/html/welcome.html

No comments:

Post a Comment